Accredited California Economic Developer (ACE) Program
New Training/Certification Program for California Economic Developers
The Accredited California Economic Developer (ACE) program is a new certification program offered through a partnership between CALED; the California Academy for Economic Development; the California State University, Fresno; and the University Business Center at the Craig School of Business.
The ACE program addresses the unique challenges of economic development practitioners in California. At the end of successful completion of all program requirements, the participant will earn ACE certification which can help set them apart in their field.
Standard Requirements for ACE Certification:
- Completion of Introduction to Economic Development Certificate Program (“Keys Course”)
- Completion of 5 Advanced Institute for Economic Development (Advanced Institute) courses (see below)
- Score of 80% or higher on a comprehensive final exam
- Completion of at least two years of paid professional experience (public and/or private sector) in the field of economic development
- Payment of certification test and registration fees
Please view the Pathways to ACE Certification to see how one can become accredited via the Standard Pathway (Keys Course and the Advanced Institute) or through special circumstances which include a Keys Course Waiver, waiver of certain Advanced Institute courses, or for those with CEcD accreditation.
The Advanced Institute will be held at Fresno State University from August 3 - 7, 2020
The ACE program’s Advanced Institute offers California-specific course curriculum which can be completed in 5 days. The Advanced Institute builds on the “Introduction to Economic Development Certificate Program” (also known as “Keys to Successful Economic Development” or "Keys Course") which has been offered by CALED and its partners for almost 10 years. The week-long “Keys Course” is a prerequisite to the Advanced Institute and is required for full ACE certification, although a waiver of the Keys Course requirement may be considered for individuals with 6+ years of professional experience and/or individuals who have completed a comparable Keys Course in neighboring states.
The five one-day courses offered in this launch are:
- Economic Development Strategic Planning (Monday, 8/3/20)
- Business Retention and Expansion (Tuesday, 8/4/20)
- Real Estate Development and Reuse (Wednesday, 8/5/20)
- Navigating the Regulatory Environment and Entitlement Process in California (Thursday, 8/6/20)
- Economic Development Finance (Friday, 8/7/20)
Each course will be held from 9:00 am to 4:30 pm.
Who Should Attend:
- Economic development professionals currently employed (or seeking employment) in California
- Professionals in related fields whose job responsibilities include economic development functions
- Those who have already attended the Keys Course and want to take the next step towards ACE certification
Registration Fee for Advanced Institute (Keys Course is a separate fee):
- CALED Member = $1,300
- CALED Non-member = $1,500
Registration for the 2020 Advanced Institute will be open in Spring 2020.
There is limited-space availability so register early !
Made possible by contributions from: